7 March, 2013: Lost “Spider” emerges from barn!
Stephen Bell recently took the trailer down to a remote barn in Oklahoma on word that a very rare vehicle was waiting there for him… and what a vehicle it is! This partially restored and nearly complete 1955 Lancia Aurelia Spider had been in hiding for years. The 9th of its kind ever built and 2nd oldest known to exist, this extremely rare and highly collectible vehicle is now awaiting some very crucial decisions as far as its future is concerned here at Classic Investments.
Steve and the owner pose while loading the amazing Aurelia Spider
This extremely rare vehicle has finally made its way to the drawing board here at Classic Investments. Currently undergoing a “dry fit” of parts before it is stripped for body and paint work, it is crucial that we begin with a complete inventory of the parts we have on hand and what we will require for this sensitive restoration project.
Stephen Bell originally got word of this car back in early March of 2013. He quickly got the trailer ready and set off to a remote location where he bought, loaded and returned with this incredible car. Once home, the massive number of loose parts was quickly sorted and stored while Steve carefully considered the options for this rare vehicle. With only 240 of these cars ever made, parts are going to be expensive and difficult to source. Luckily, the inventory revealed that the parts Steve had returned with make up the bulk of all the parts needed for the restoration! Some parts will need to be refinished, repaired or even fabricated from diagrams or templates of the originals. Nevertheless, this was excellent news and the project is now running along at full speed.
This particular example was the 9th of its kind ever built and is believed to be the 2nd oldest remaining in the world. Lancia was known for being extremely innovative and creating some of the most fascinating and beautiful cars of the time. The 2.5Litre, V-6 engine was the first production V-6 ever manufactured and was used in one form or another from its development in 1950 through to 1970, first in the Aurelia and later in the Flaminia. With an undersquare design and 60 degree bank angle this engine was very compact. And with the use of lightweight alloys and clever design techniques (such as the rear mounted transaxle with inboard drum brakes) weight distribution was very good which improved on performance and handling–a major concern in the early 1950′s when tire technology was poor and Lancias own engine was struggling to develop much more than 100BHP.
Click here to be taken to the ongoing restoration page for this vehicle.